Get creative this Easter and use jelly crystals to make this sensational cake topped with chocolate bunnies, rainbow pearls and polka dots.
- 375g butter, softened
- 2 1/4 cups (495g) caster sugar
- 85g pkt blueberry jelly crystals
- 6 Coles Brand Australian free range eggs
- 4 1/2 cups (675g) plain flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups (375ml) buttermilk
- 85g pkt lime jelly crystals
- 85g pkt raspberry jelly crystals
- Coles Brand Rainbow Pearls, to decorate
- Dr Oetker Polka Dots, to decorate
- Dr Oetker Sugar Stars, to decorate
- Lindt Mini Gold Bunny chocolates, to decorate
- 375g unsalted butter, softened
- 500g icing sugar
- 1/4 cup (60ml) milk
- Blue, green and red food colouring, to tint
- Step 1Preheat oven to 160C. Grease and line the base and sides of three 20cm (base measurement) pans with baking paper.
- Step 2Use an electric mixer to beat 125g butter, 3/4 cup (165g) sugar and 1/4 cup of the blueberry jelly crystals in a bowl until pale and creamy. Add 2 eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add 1 1/2 cups (225g) flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/2 cup (125ml) buttermilk, in alternating batches, stirring well after each addition. Spoon into 1 prepared pan and smooth the surface.
- Step 3Repeat twice with remaining butter, sugar, eggs, flour, baking powder and buttermilk, using lime jelly crystals for the second mixture and raspberry jelly crystals for the third mixture.
- Step 4Bake for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted in centres comes out clean. Set aside in the pans for 5 mins to cool slightly before turning onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Step 5To make the icing, use an electric mixer to beat the butter in a bowl until very pale. Add the icing sugar, in batches, beating until well combined and creamy. Divide into 3 even portions. Stir remaining blueberry jelly crystals and 1 tablespoon of milk in a bowl until jelly dissolves. Tint 1 icing portion with a little jelly mixture and blue food colouring to make light blue. Repeat twice with remaining icing portions, remaining lime and raspberry jelly crystals, remaining milk and green and red food colouring.
- Step 6Use a large serrated knife to level the top of the blue cake. Spread the top with blue icing. Repeat with the remaining cakes and icing. Carefully layer the green and pink cakes on top of the blue cake. Use a flat, wide knife to spread the remaining pink, green and blue icing evenly around the side of the cake. Decorate with rainbow pearls, polka dots, sugar stars and bunny chocolates.
Allow additional time for cooling.