The flavours of lemon and thyme are perfectly matched in this delectable afternoon tea cake.
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 3 teaspoons lemon rind, plus zest to serve
- 2 teaspoons thyme leaves, plus extra to serve
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup Greek yoghurt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
- Pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup icing sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Step 1Grease and line base and sides of a 20cm square cake pan with baking paper.
- Step 2Using an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat sugar, rind and thyme for 1 minute to infuse. Add eggs and beat until combined. Add yoghurt and oil and beat to combine. Add flour and salt and stir to combine. Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 40 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Cool cake in pan for 5 minutes. Cool cake on wire rack.
- Step 3Meanwhile, make lemon glaze. Combine icing sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl. Pour over cake. Sprinkle with extra rind and thyme.
- 20cm square cake pan and an electric beater fitted with a paddle attachment
You can freeze this cake un-iced for up to 1 month.