Laced with spices, this light-as-air sponge cake with maple syrup and orange cream filling is perfect with a cuppa.
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup self-raising flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mixed spice
- 300ml thickened cream
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange rind
- 1 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar mixture
- Step 1Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan-forced. Grease two 20cm (base) round cake pans. Line bases and sides with baking paper.
- Step 2Using an electric mixer, beat eggs and caster sugar for 8 to 10 minutes or until thick and creamy.
- Step 3Meanwhile, sift flours, ginger and mixed spice together 3 times. Gently fold flour mixture into egg mixture to just combine. Divide mixture between prepared pans. Bake for 20 minutes or until sponges spring back when touched. Line a wire rack with baking paper. Immediately turn sponges out onto a wire rack to cool.
- Step 4Using an electric mixer, beat cream, orange rind and maple syrup until just-firm peaks form. Spoon cream mixture into a piping bag fitted with a 1.5cm fluted nozzle. Place 1 sponge on a plate. Pipe cream mixture onto cake. Top with remaining sponge. Dust with icing sugar. Serve.